Deborah S Bosley
Founder and Principal, The Plain Language Group, LLC
Why Plain Language Summaries?
“Plain Language Summaries are critical to helping the public understand the results of scientific/health research and clinical trials. Far too often, we are faced with trying to understand highly technical medical information without the necessary background to know what we are reading. PLS give people a necessary opportunity to read, understand, and learn about health and science topics germane to their lives. In addition, I believe that one reason many Americans don’t believe science is because scientific information is far too often written for experts, not for the public. PLS solve these problems by providing easy to understand information while, at the same time, building public trust.”
Deborah S. Bosley, Ph.D., is the Founder and Principal at The Plain Language Group, LLC. She also is a Professor Emerita of Technical Writing from UNC Charlotte. Deborah believes that people have a right to understand information that affects their lives. She has spent the past 20 years helping Fortune 500 /1000 companies and government agencies meet the regulatory requirements for plain language and create content that is easy for people to understand and use. Using proven writing and design strategies, training tools, and research results, she helps companies achieve critical goals including:
• Meeting regulatory requirements for disclosures
• Simplifying financial, health, technical, and governmental content for the public
• Saving time and money
• Improving customer and citizens’ experiences
She is the author of three books and more than two dozen articles on issues related to clear communication. Deborah has given more than 100 presentations to business, government, and non-profit organizations in the U.S., Mexico, England, Spain, Ireland, Germany, and France.
Deborah has been interviewed or written for Inc., Time Magazine, The Atlantic, the Wall Street Journal This Weekend radio broadcast, ABC News, HealthLeader Media, Investment News, Investment Advisor, ThriveGlobal, Employee Benefits, and Transaction World Magazine, and, as well as multiple social media outlets. She has published three books and dozens of articles on plain language/clear communication Awards and Associations include:
• Winner of the TurnAround Award with J.P. Morgan Chase from the Center for Plain Language
• Winner of the Jay R. Gould Award from the Society of Technical Communication
• Winner of the Best Material Created for a Client for a Plain Language Style Guide for TIAA
• Former President: Plain Language International Network (PLAIN)
• Board Member: Center for Plain Language, Washington, D.C.
• Advisory Council: Institute of Fiduciary Standards, Washington, D.C.